mugen chars, rare characters
Mugen | CHAT | Newbie needs palette help in FFU! - Forum | Registration | Login
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » MUGEN related » Mugen beginners' corner » Newbie needs palette help in FFU! (At least, I think it's the palette that I need help with...)
Newbie needs palette help in FFU!
FallonDate: Thursday, 2010-06-03, 9:05 AM | Message # 1
Baby
Group: Users
Awards: 0
Reproofs: 0%
Hi folks - lovely forum you've got here.

I'm pretty new to MUGEN, but I'm no newbie to game and character design. Actually I'm a visual effects artist by trade, and to be honest I'm trying - and failing - to incorporate some of those skills into my workflow here.

Basically, I'm trying to EXPORT the sprites from a MUGEN char file (Talon from Primal Rage) as a series of PNG files. No problem there, I've done it a hundred times and it's fine.

But.

This particular char file has a white background for the sprites, and since Mugen doesn't appear to support alpha channels (correct me if I'm wrong), I'd like to replace this background with a more easily-removable colour for when I import it into my motion-graphics package (I'm using After Effects, just for the record). See, as everybody probably knows, it's really hard to key out pure white, because (a) you occasionally key out important parts of the sprite, and (b) you get really awkward 'fringes' on some frames. Now I COULD do a frame-by-frame repair, and it would be easy, but it would also be time-consuming. I'd much prefer to spend my time on the actual creative design aspects, if you can dig that, haha.

See, I've got pretty big plans for this sprite. I plan to motion-track and replace parts of it (I picked Primal Rage because it's characters are stop-motion animated, which makes automatic motion-tracking incredibly easy to trust), and also rotoscope parts of it, and I won't waste your time with the details but I intend to use the high quality animation from PR as a template for some really cool stuff I plan to do - it won't be a mere sprite edit, it will be a whole new char which is simply built using Talon as a guide. Naturally I would be happy to share the results with you all when it's done.

If someone out there could give me a step-by-step guide in FIGHTER FACTORY ULTIMATE that tells me how to:

1. Change the white background-box to a colour like fuchsia or light green (I assume this is done in the palette editor, rather than the sprite editor - if I'm wrong and I have to do it in the sprite editor, is there a way to apply it to every frame at once, rather than just cycling through with the paint bucket?)

2. Do it in a way that it will retain the new background colour when I export as PNG (see I thought I had it, but then when I exported it, the background had reverted to white)

Then I can't tell you how grateful I would be.

Thanks a lot for your time!
-Fallon

koniaDate: Thursday, 2010-06-03, 2:26 PM | Message # 2
King Konia
Group: contributor
Awards: 1
woa that's a heck of a lot there guy....ummmm the most I can say is to look at a fighter factory tutorial on youtube and about the backroung thing ummm you could colour it from fighter facrory you know...or edit the sprites in paint and just fill the backround with green

hope I helped
-king konia^^

FallonDate: Thursday, 2010-06-03, 3:13 PM | Message # 3
Baby
Group: Users
Awards: 0
It's all good pal, I worked it out. It was so simple I feel like a dunce.

koniaDate: Thursday, 2010-06-03, 3:32 PM | Message # 4
King Konia
Group: contributor
Awards: 1
Quote (Fallon)
I feel like a dunce.

XD
well when you're done show us a preview ok?

Forum » MUGEN related » Mugen beginners' corner » Newbie needs palette help in FFU! (At least, I think it's the palette that I need help with...)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024 Create a free website with uCoz