Resident Evil 6
NatsuDragneelDate: Thursday, 2012-05-24, 7:27 PM | Message # 16
The Chosen One
Group: contributor
Awards: 2
Reproofs: 0%
Quote (Zyzzbrah)
RE4

that was the last 'resident evil' that gave me the creeps.
still RE5 was much better than the new 'orc' shit.

Batman+Natsu : level facepalm.

ZyzzbrahDate: Thursday, 2012-05-24, 7:28 PM | Message # 17
Templar Knight
Group: Users
Awards: 0
Reproofs: 40%
Quote (ZerX)
but that camera angle was getting old. They we're going to change it sooner or later

I know. I'm not saying I dislike the new camera, or the new games, but they aren't action-horror games. This is a fact.

ZerXDate: Thursday, 2012-05-24, 7:33 PM | Message # 18
The Chosen One
Quote (Zyzzbrah)
I know. I'm not saying I dislike the new camera, or the new games, but they aren't action-horror games. This is a fact.

Code
Quote from Wikipedia: Resident Evil 4, known in Japan as Biohazard 4 (バイオハザード4 Baiohazādo Fō?), is a survival horror video game.

You have a wrong concept of survival horror. If it has some action in it, that doesn't mean it isn't a survival horror game.

When a Ninja falls, another one rises!

ZyzzbrahDate: Thursday, 2012-05-24, 7:47 PM | Message # 19
Templar Knight
Quote (ZerX)
You have a wrong concept of survival horror. If it has some action in it, that doesn't mean it isn't a survival horror game.

>Thinking Wikipedia is a valid source
>2012

Nope. My concept of survival horror is correct. Since you like Wikipedia so much, I'll post the definition of survival horror straight from the page.

"Survival horror is a subgenre of action-adventure video games inspired by horror fiction. Although combat can be a part of the gameplay, the player is made to feel less powerful than in typical action games, because of limited ammunition, health, speed, or other limitations."

>The player is made to feel less powerful than in typical action games
This isn't present in RE4 or RE5.

>Limited ammunition
Ammo is found in abundance and limited inventory space is the only thing keeping you from having ridiculous ammounts of ammo.

>Limited health
You can take quite a lot of damage before dying in both games. The large amount of healing items only make this easier.

>Limited speed
Like I said before. You can outrun most regular enemies, allowing you to avoid most of their attacks. The game has to overwhelm you with numbers for it even be a challenge.

"Survival horror games are a subgenre of action-adventure game,[3] where the player is unable to fully prepare or arm their avatar.[4] The player must face a large number of enemies,[11] but ammunition is sparser than in other games,[12] and powerful weapons such as rocket launchers are rare, if even available at all.[4] Thus, players are more vulnerable than in other action games,[4] and the hostility of the environment sets up a narrative where the odds are weighed decisively against the avatar.[2] This gameplay shifts away from direct combat, and players must learn to evade enemies or turn the environment against them.[8] Games try to enhance the experience of vulnerability by making the game single player rather than multiplayer,[11] and by giving the player an avatar who is more frail than the typical action game hero.[12]"

>Ammunition is sparser than in other games
To a point, but not enough to make a real different.

>Powerful weapons such as rocket launchers are rare
Rocket Launchers can be purchased from the merchant as soon as you find him. However, in RE4 and 5, the game has a huge amount of powerful weapons that can be found or purchased with ease. Ammo for these weapons is easy to find as well.

>Players are more vulnerable than in other action games
Nah, I wouldn't say so. Regular enemies are a cake-walk even on higher difficulties, bosses aren't much of a challenge if you learn their patterns.

>Singleplayer rather than multiplayer
RE5 was supported 2 player co-op, that's all I need to say.

>Avatar that is more frail than the typical action hero
Not really. With full health you can take a lot of hits from enemies before you die. Large amounts of health items make it easy to stay alive.

Also, from the same article.

"In 2005, Resident Evil 4 attempted to redefine the genre by emphasizing reflexes and precision aiming,[62] broadening the gameplay with elements from the wider action genre.[63] Its ambitions paid off, earning the title several Game of the Year awards for 2005,[64][65] and the top rank on IGN's Readers' Picks Top 99 Games list.[66] However, this also led some reviewers to suggest that the Resident Evil series had abandoned the survival horror genre,[34][67] by demolishing the genre conventions that it had established."

Normally, I wouldn't use Wikipedia, but since you used it, I thought "why not?"

ZerXDate: Thursday, 2012-05-24, 7:59 PM | Message # 20
The Chosen One
Quote (Zyzzbrah)
However, this also led some reviewers to suggest that the Resident Evil series had abandoned the survival horror genre,[34][67] by demolishing the genre conventions that it had established."

Quote (ZerX)
Code
Quote from Wikipedia: Resident Evil 4, known in Japan as Biohazard 4 (バイオハザード4 Baiohazādo Fō?), is a survival horror video game.

Isn't there a difference between "suggest" and "is"?

Quote (Zyzzbrah)
>The player is made to feel less powerful than in typical action games
This isn't present in RE4 or RE5.

R u sure? Why don't u compare COD with RE? "feel less powerful than in typical action games"

Quote (Zyzzbrah)
Ammo is found in abundance and limited inventory space is the only thing keeping you from having ridiculous ammounts of ammo.

That's not necessarily true. It might be like that for you, but it wasn't for me when I started playing RE4.

Quote (Zyzzbrah)
RE5 was supported 2 player co-op, that's all I need to say.

Yep... RE5 wasn't much of survival, since Sheva was always there to help you.

I'm not trying to deny that the previous games were more survival than RE4, but that doesn't make RE4 a non-survival.

ZyzzbrahDate: Thursday, 2012-05-24, 8:07 PM | Message # 21
Templar Knight
Quote (ZerX)
R u sure? Why don't u compare COD with RE? "feel less powerful than in typical action games"

It actually takes longer for you to die in RE4 than in CoD, and enemies are killed just easily if you know how to play. Bosses being the exception.
Quote (ZerX)
That's not necessarily true

But it is true. Ammo is not scarce. It can be purchased, enemies drop it, and it can be found in barrels and other breakable objects.

ZerXDate: Thursday, 2012-05-24, 8:14 PM | Message # 22
The Chosen One
Quote (Zyzzbrah)
It actually takes longer for you to die in RE4 than in CoD

That doesn't matter as that doesn't tell anything about the game. The number of enemies makes the difference. Even so, it depends on your gameplay skills.

Quote (Zyzzbrah)
But it is true. Ammo is not scarce. It can be purchased, enemies drop it, and it can be found in barrels and other breakable objects.

Are u saying you should go through the game without ammo? There is always a way to get ammo.

Forum » Entertainment » Games discussion » Resident Evil 6
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024 Create a free website with uCoz