• Page 1 of 1
Forum » general » General M.U.G.E.N Discussion » Just a warning
Just a warning
Soundwave427Date: Thursday, 2009-03-26, 5:52 PM | Message # 1
Baby
Group: Users
Awards: 0
Reproofs: 0%
Hey gang just wanted to give everyone a heads up, last week I downloaded a character from a link on a different mugen site (name withheld to not give them bad press as they are usually really good at preventing this sort of thing) and it resulted in a virus which wiped out my entire hard drive and rewrote my bios. Nasty lil bugger has since been taken down but beware of any external links especially from foreign web pages... well off to rebuild mugen, again :{

p.s. I decided not to include the character or author on here for 2 reasons
1. I know there are other versions of this character on multiple pages then run perfectly fine
2. I don't want to put the blame on the wrong thing, I know where the virus came from, but not if it was hidden in the character or somewhere else on the page as I looked around

buyDate: Thursday, 2009-03-26, 9:56 PM | Message # 2
Angel
Group: Administrators
Awards: 2
If you Pm me the link i can check it out for you. It's not possible to add a virus to the characters itself unless the char is in .exe format or you double click the cmd or the zip file.
If the contaminated page belongs to the creator of the char, I mean, the official webpage, there is a 99% chance that he is to blame.

striderhienDate: Thursday, 2009-03-26, 10:03 PM | Message # 3
Archangel
Group: contributor
Awards: 4
WHOA! that is something i can't allow!!!!!
i have my windows main files well protected but not the bios!
what were they thinking?????
a so fucking powerful virus instead of a char!!!
angry killed

Added (2009-03-26, 10:03 Pm)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (buy)
you double click the cmd or the zip file

amm, i always double click the zip file.... >.>

asrwgmDate: Thursday, 2009-03-26, 10:47 PM | Message # 4
Archangel
Awards: 6
Can you PM me the link, I wanna see it for myself.

buyDate: Thursday, 2009-03-26, 10:57 PM | Message # 5
Angel
Group: Administrators
Awards: 2
amm, i always double click the zip file.

Extract here option is safer!

striderhienDate: Thursday, 2009-03-26, 10:58 PM | Message # 6
Archangel
Quote (buy)
Extract here option is safer!

heh, that's a good idea >.>

Soundwave427Date: Friday, 2009-03-27, 3:00 PM | Message # 7
Baby
You make valid points I'm pretty sure I picked it up on the foreign web page and not with the character. If anyone is curious as to what happened when I got the virus basiclly I shut my computer down like normal for the day with no problems. THe next day when I went to turn it on it wouldn't start windows it kept crashing out and causing critical errors even in safe mode. I finally was able to have a friend who is better with fixing this sort of thing look at it and he noticed that it disabled the recovery part of bios as well. He was able to recover that and my computer started, however once in windows I almost immediately starting getting weird error messages and eventually my pc shut itself down. Rechecking bios we saw that the recovery part has disabled itself again. Conclusion whatever was in there was able to disable your normal fixes like "roll back to last known good config" etc.. it was also capable of knowing when you fixed the problem and reactivating itself. In the end i had to flush the entire hard drive then reset the bios and run the recovery. Believe me the worse part about it is losing all my fun stuff like my mugen and my mame roms, I have some of it backed up but not all of it, its just annoying when i consider how much time I put into making things exactly how I wanted it. But you live you learn, so from now on i will not be so lazy when it comes to backing up my stuff. Sorry to ramble

-Soundwave-

A2EDate: Wednesday, 2009-05-06, 9:36 AM | Message # 8
Squire
i'v e never got a virus from a mugen download but then again i scan everything i download before i open it. your better off taking the extra time just download all your new mugen files to a folder and scan the whole thing before you unzip anything you are less likely to catch a virus that way you can never be too care full

dreadmeDate: Thursday, 2009-05-28, 8:14 PM | Message # 9
Baby
i never download from a site i can't read and you might consider using panda anti virus it can also alert you to infected web site

Psycho_UchihaDate: Friday, 2009-07-10, 7:31 AM | Message # 10
Baby
Well, i got virus once, but my anti virus did a good job with him, i could also recover the file, but i was pretty scared, when the alarm popped out

Psycho Wayz

pop123162Date: Monday, 2009-08-17, 8:45 PM | Message # 11
Squire
im afraid of downloading things becus im always worried about viruses even some stuff on this site sad
iv gotten a few viruses before (mostly trogens) and there so annoying some take a while to get rid of dry
ght some 1 download it on my pc but apperntly it just popped up out of no where surprised get rid of norton if it pops up
if you all ready haave a program for scaning

striderhienDate: Tuesday, 2009-08-18, 10:12 AM | Message # 12
Archangel
on this site everithing is virus free, if you got a virus from here tell buy, he'll remove/repair the file

pop123162Date: Tuesday, 2009-08-18, 7:50 PM | Message # 13
Squire
okey thanks for telling me that smile
and i have downloaded over 66 characters and havent gotten a virus from any of them happy

Forum » general » General M.U.G.E.N Discussion » Just a warning
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024 Create a free website with uCoz